CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2.18.2009

Updates On Our Favorite Aussie Elder!


Elder Ball at the Melbourne Australia Temple

Here are some updates from Jared from the past few weeks. He uses quite a bit of Aussie slang. So I thought I would do a little bit of translating first!
In Aussie and NZ they add as onto alot of things. I would normally say "That was so funny!" But they would say " That's funny as!"
They also use heaps a lot. Which as you can probably figure out means a lot.
If something is cool or awesome they also say "That was mean aye!" It wasn't literally someone being mean.

Part of Jared's area is where the fires have been happening but hasn't actually hit where he is living. Thank goodness. This is what he has said about it so far.

Ya there's been heaps of fires, there have been 3 in the West Mission. some of the members had to be evacuated but I think everything is fine. King Lake is in our area, but it is so far away that we'd only go there if we felt the urge to or if we had a referral.

mmmm.... apparently the fire is like crazy bad. There is nothing left of King Lake. There's like over 300 deaths. It's crazy. If the fire hit lower plenty gorge, (Not sure who or what that is) me and my comp probably wouldn't be here. it's been nuts man.

We didn't get to donate blood. There was a lack of staff and too many people already donating. We also got turned away from the community centre because there were so many people helping out there. In a few weeks it might die down and we might be able to help but we haven't really been able to do something so far. Which kinda sucks. But all good.

Well, this week was pretty busy, had a zone meeting, and went to the temple. We had exchanges. It was really good.
Today we are going to Rugrats. It's like a giant jungle gym for adults. It sounds like it's going to be fun.

So something uplifting... our investigator Sue, came to church, she had been investigating for a year. It kinda just shows that when you work hard, doing everything right, we all need to go through trials. But be patient in those times and the Lord will bless.

Sue is an Aussie. she's in her 40's, she has just been divorced. Which probably had a lot to do with why she wasn't baptized earlier. She has two daughters. She has given up, smoking, coffee, alcohol, and tea. (not the dinner, but the drink.)

As you've probably heard, It was hot as this week so of course. It was in the 40's (This is in Celsius so that would make it around 104. But then you have to add in the humidity. So that is crazy hot) this whole week. The highest was 44, The train tracks started to buckle so they shut all the trains down. we were out every day giving service. mowing lawns for a few old lady's. We gained a lot of respect, and lost heaps of weight. Just because we were out in the heat. Lost 8 lbs this week.

I was on exchanges with Leota and we went down to Ivanhoe. While we were there we ran into Teu and he had lost his comp, O'neil. My companion was with elder feller, and they found O'neil. While they were with him, he said I hope Elder ball and elder leota find teu. My comp looks at him like are you crazy?? so it was funny when we rock up with him. haha. I was a little confused as to how they lost each other. The next week Jared told me... Teu hopped off the trian, and then was talking and was like, hey elder O'nei... oh shoot. I guess elder O'neil wasn't paying attention or something I don't know was just funny.

Oh, it was mean, we get free bread every Sunday. Someone goes and picks up bread from the bakery that they throw out and you just take what you want. So we grabbed heaps of bread. It's mean.

People think that I'm... a detective... a ticket inspector (for the train).... a real estate agent...I can't remember what else I've been called but it's pretty funny. Missionaries, are in fact, servants of the lord, dream interpreters, marriage counselors, and just all around problem solvers.

There is this cool as lady, her name is Caroyln, she is like 50 or something. She has 3 sons, and a daughter that just got married. We gave her a Book of Mormon, and she started crying because the spirit was so strong. Then she had us write our testimony in it and sign it. She's not sure if she want's the lessons yet, but she's golden as.

haha. There is this girl in my new ward that is like 14 or so and she looks exactly like that little punk Jenny, (He's talking about the girl that plays Jenny on Gossip Girl who has become a little punk) I almost died laughing the first time I saw her. It would seem really awkward if I asked to get a pic with her, so I can't really show you ever. but ya, it is funny.

No comments: